If Only Someone Had Done This With Harry Potter

Dark Horizons reports:
HBO .. plans to turn George R.R. Martin's bestselling fantasy series "A Song of Fire and Ice" into a drama series by David Benioff ("Troy", "Wolverine") and D.B. Weiss ("Halo"). ... Variety indicates that the series will begin with the 1996 first book, "A Game of Thrones," and will turn each novel into a season's worth of episodes
I was profoundly unimpressed by A Game of Thrones, but as in the case of The Prestige, an adaptation into the visual medium will automatically get rid of the novel's greatest weaknesses--Martin's indifferent prose and absurd verbosity. Once these steps are taken, there's probably enough potential in the core story for Benioff and Weiss to make something of merit--I'm quite curious to see how an epic fantasy fares on the small screen.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have to disagree with you quite vociferously about Martin. The writing is quite expert and the plotting amazing. I think this is a case of you not being the right reader for the book(s). This dismissiveness is somewhat annoying for something as intricate and brilliant as Martin's accomplishment.

JeffV
I think this is a case of you not being the right reader for the book

I imagine that this is true of every book I've ever disliked, but it still says as much about the book as it does about me.

Popular posts from this blog

The 2023 Hugo Awards: Somehow, It Got Worse

Recent Movie: The Batman

The 2023 Hugo Awards: Now With an Asterisk